From the League of Volunteers
The League of Volunteers (LOV) is planning on serving 5,000 people on Thanksgiving Day at the Newark Pavilion or delivered to the homebound in Fremont, Newark, Union City, Hayward, San Leandro, San Lorenzo and Castro Valley. Two weeks to go and to date there is a desperate shortage of the following:
- Turkeys – need 320 – have 23 – short 297
- Hams - need 80 - have none
- Pre-baked pies - need 500 - have 6 promised – short 494
- Instant Potato Mix – need 60 lg. Boxes – have none
- Chicken Broth – need 20 large cans – have none
- Canned Corn – need 77 more
- Canned Green Beans – need 220 more
- Canned Yams – 29 oz. – need 34
- Dinner plates – need 1,000
- Oval Aluminum Roasting Pans – need 600 – have 32 – 578 short
- Butter - both 1 lb. boxes (40 needed) & individual patties (box of 400)
- Bottled water – need 10 cases
- Dessert plates – need 750 more
- Sandwich bags – need 3,000 – have only 80
- Take Home Styrofoam Dinner Containers – need 2,000 more
- Large lunch bags – need 1,800
- Charcoal to cook turkeys – need 500 lbs more
- Turkey Roasting bags – need 300
These are just a few of the many food and supply items needed to help make this a happy holiday for those in need or those that are alone this Thanksgiving. You may also call 510-793-5683 for an update on needs.
LOV’s Community Service Center at 36120 Ruschin Drive, Newark in the former Ruschin School is open to receive donations Monday - Friday from 8:30 am until 5 pm. Or you may call for pick up.
If you don’t have time to shop, monetary donations are very much welcome so that we may purchase what is needed.