Since 1880, St. Edward Catholic Church has been home to Newark's Catholic population. The church was part of the Mission San Jose and later the Mission Holy Spirit until 1920 when it became St. Edward Catholic Church. The Church offers masses in English, Spanish, Portuguese and Latin. The church shares its space with St. Edward's Catholic School. St. Edward Catholic Church has 52 organizations that support its diverse population, including societies for its Filipino, Spanish and Portuguese-speaking members.