From the Newark Police Department:
If your New Year resolution was to start getting to the gym more often in 2013, also resolve to protect your belongings while working out. Theft is a crime of opportunity. Most thefts occur when valuables are left unattended. The thief normally seeks privacy to commit his/her act. Virtually any article left in plain view is apt to be stolen. Most property that is stolen from a gym is either left unattended or unlocked.
Here are some tips that should help you protect your property:
- If you have personal items of value, leave them at home.
- If you have to bring personal items, get a fanny pack and keep them on you at all times. Do not leave your keys unattended anywhere.
- Use a lock on your gym locker.
- Also, another way to stay safe is to never leave your bags, purses, wallets, or any other possessions unattended even for a moment. Know where your property is when you are working out.
- Be aware of your surroundings when you get to the parking lot and report any suspicious activity.
- Keep a written record of valuables, including descriptions and serial numbers. These are proof that the property is yours and will aid in the reporting process and recovery.
- Always report missing or stolen property immediately!