Wednesday, Sept. 11
- Crash blocks northbound I-880. Details.
- Police raid home, exit with marijuana. Newark residents banded together to share information and unearth what happened. Story here.
- Missing woman known to frequent Fremont. Loreen Medeiros, 49, was last seen Sunday in San Leandro. She may not have her prescribed medications. Story here.
Copper theft attempt. Police were called at 5:45 a.m. to Brookvale Center, Fremont, after a man on the roof was seen talking to another male on the ground. When officers spoke to the man on the ground, a transient, 35, the other fled. The two were in the process of stealing copper from the roof top and caused $10,000 of PG&E damages. The suspect detained was arrested for felony vandalism and possession of a controlled substance. The second man was not located.
- Injury collision and felony hit-and-run. A driver and pasenger of a 2013 Mustang fled after colliding with a motorcycle and severely injuring the cyclist at 1:40 a.m. on westbound Decoto Road east of I-880. The motorcyclist, a 49-year-old male, was transported to a trauma center with major injuries. The two suspects fled on foot leaving the Mustang behind and have not been located. Newark police assisted.
- "Good looking" kidnapper? A woman called police at 6:30 p.m. saying she was on Mohave Common in Fremont when a man entered her vehicle, pointed a gun at her and ordered her to drive her from the area. The suspect told the woman that his friend had been shot and he was trying to leave the area. She drove a short distance when the suspect took her purse, removed her driver’s license, and fled the car. He was described as South Asian Indian, 5’9” with a thin build, wearing a gray beanie hat, gray T-shirt, red basketball shorts, and was “good looking” with a scruffy beard.
- Two 18-year-olds to stand trial for murder of Fremont man at BART Station. Story here.
- Suspect sought for stolen vehicle, hit-and-run, lots of pot. An officer attempted to stop a vehicle speeding recklessly on Paseo Padre Parkway near Fremont Boulevard, however the driver refused to stop and eventually crashed at Paseo and Isherwood. The driver, the sole occupant of the car, fled the accident scene on foot and jumped a fence into the backyard of an Isherwood residence. Additional units and K-9 officers responded. The abandoned vehicle, stolen from Fremont, contained large amounts of marijuana. Additional units, K-9 officers and a CHP helicopter conducted yard-to-yard searches, but the suspect was not located. He was described as a white adult, 5’9” and wearing a grey shirt and brown shorts.
- Stolen human remains found in Fremont. A citizen in Creekside Village called police after finding what appeared to be human ashes in a box labeled with the decedent’s name, date of death and crematorium used. Officers tracked the ashes and found they were stolen during an auto burglary then apparently discarded by the suspect(s). The remains were returned to the decedent's family.
- Fremont man found unconscious in San Francisco dies. Manuel Gallegos, 43, of Fremont, was found early Saturday morning in San Francisco's Union Square with head injuries. Story here.
- San Bruno mountain fire burns 41 acres. Smoke visible for miles. Story here.
- Caretaker charged with committing sex acts on elderly patient in nursing facility. Story here.
- Big-rig fire burns driver, sparks grass fire on I-680. Story here.
- Police release photo of "snake scam" artist. Click here.
- South Asian Indians targeted in IRS scam. Callers demand victims to wire money immediately. Story here.
- Lucky lotto ticket thief gets away. A burglar made off with lottery tickets after smashing the window at Charter Square Liquors on the 34100 block of Fremont Boulevard. The suspect was described as possibly Hispanic or South Asian Indian, about 25 to 35 years old, 5-foot-9 to 6-foot-1 with a light skinned complexion and full beard. He was wearing a hoodie and orange t-shirt. He smashed the window with a river rock.
- Firefighters douse blaze at Bunker Elementary. The "vandal watch" trailer caught on fire. More here.
- Two escape morning fire. Fire claims home on Roserock Drive in Newark. Story here.
BART bike theft. A white/black/red Specialized Hardrock 21 speed mountain bike, with no serial numbers and valued at $500, was stolen from a BART bike rack. The bike was secured with a cable lock on Sunday at 7 p.m. and left overnight. The victim returned Monday at 6 a.m. and discovered the theft. BART PD CASE #1309-0371. If you have information, call (510) 464-7020.
- Two arrested for trading laptop for drugs. Story here.
- Pot spot identified. A marijuana-growing facility was discovered at 12:20 p.m. in a building on Encyclopedia Circle in Fremont.
- Three arrested in baseball bat beating in Fremont. The victim suffered a broken arm during the assault. Story here.