From Newark Police Department
A thief's paradise: Where can you find a place where people leave their wallets, purses, cell phones, navigation systems, or cars unattended and ripe for theft?
The answer won’t surprise you; it happens every time they pull off the road to get gas or grab their favorite drink from a convenience store and leave their keys in the ignition or their doors unlocked.
Most of the time, gas station and convenience store customers leave their car doors unlocked.
This enables a thief to approaches the victim's car, open an unlocked door, and grab any valuables within reach. Then, the thief quickly flees! It’s a crime of opportunity that takes only a few seconds to commit.
These types of thefts can be easily prevented by keeping the following tips in mind:
- Pick gas stations and stores that are well-lighted and have video surveillance cameras.
- Always remove your keys, close the windows, and lock the doors.
- Keep valuables out of plain view in your vehicle and lock the doors even if you are going inside for just a moment.
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Don’t let your cell phone distract you.
Learn how you can keep these crimes of opportunity from happening to you by forming a Neighborhood Watch!
To form a neighborhood watch group, please contact:
Community Engagement Division
Newark Police Dept.