The Newark man charged with homicide in the of his girlfriend in April briefly appeared in court Thursday with a new public defender.
Deputy Public Defender Marvin Lew has taken on the case of Jason Otis Monroe, 32, and told Alameda Superior Court Judge Dennis McLaughlin that he will be representing Monroe for the duration of the case.
Monroe's next court date is scheduled for June 24 at the Fremont Hall of Justice. A May 20 hearing has been canceled.
Monroe had nothing to say to court officials but whispered a few statements with a grin to Lew while in court Thursday.
This was Monroe's first court appearance , when he rescinded his previous .
Monroe faces one charge of murder after his in the stabbing death of Evangeline Supena Contillo, 25, in a home on the 36600 block of Cherry Street.
At the time, Contillo had a restraining order in effect against Monroe, stemming from a Feb. 25 domestic battery case.
The two are said to have been a couple who lived at the Cherry Street residence with their two children, ages 3 and 5, and Monroe's mother, according to relatives of both individuals.
Monroe was previously arrested and convicted on Feb. 28 on charges of misdemeanor battery, assault and corporal injury to a spouse or cohabitant.
Contillo was the victim of the assault and corporal injury charges, according to the district attorney’s office. The office would not release the identity of the battery victim.
Monroe is being held without bail at Santa Rita Jail in Dublin.