From Newark Police
Recently there has been a catalytic converter theft in a Newark neighborhood.
Here is a list of ways motorists can deter converter thieves, including:
- Parking your vehicle in well-populated, well-lit areas
- Installing conspicuous video surveillance cameras outside homes
- Parking your vehicle in a closed, locked garage
- Watching local news to monitor epidemics of local converter thefts so as to take extra precautions
- Etching the car's VIN on the converter to make it easier to identify a ring of thieves in the future
- Installing an aftermarket security unit meant to deter catalytic converter theft
Also with the sky rocketing price of gas now would be the time to purchase that locking gas cap!!!
- Catalytic Converters: Why Thieves Steal Them