Five Things appears every Monday on Newark Patch. Leave tips in the comments section below.
Here are five things you need to know in and around Newark through May 7.
- The Newark Planning Commission meets this Tuesday and at its meeting the commissioners will hear a presentation regarding the 2012-13 and 2013-14 Capital Improvement Plan as presented by Senior Civil Engineer Soren Fanjeau. The meeting begins at 7:30 p.m. at City Hall, 37101 Newark Blvd. Visit the City of Newark website here for more details or to download the meeting’s agenda.
- Moms of young babies who are looking to get some exercise can join , a fitness program held at NewPark Mall. And the first class is FREE. The next class will be held 9 a.m. Wednesday, but if you can’t make that one, classes are held every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Click here for more information about the one-hour class.
- Is your kid a natural athlete and loves football or cheer? Boys and girls between the ages of 5 and 15 are invited to register for the . No tryouts are held. Registration will be held 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at , 5544 Thornton Ave.
- City council meets Thursday and during its meeting Officer Dan Anderson of the Newark Police Department will be honored as 2011 Officer of the Year. Also at the council meeting, city staff will ask the city council to authorize Mayor Al Nagy to sign a letter allowing for the removal of the Dumbarton Rail project from the Regional Transportation plan. For more information or to download the full agenda, visit the City of Newark website.
- Teens, do you think you’ve got the best pool skills? Well, put them to the test on Friday when Newark’s Teen Center hosts a on Friday. All participants must be at the teen center around 4:45 p.m. And the event is free once admission to the Teen Area is paid.