Heads up! Here are five things going on this week that you should know about:
- Ring in the holidays by joining city leaders at Monday night’s Holiday Tree Lighting and Trees of Angels event. The event will also include a performance from Newark Memorial High School’s Advanced Choir and some refreshments. The event will begin at 6:15 p.m. at City Hall, 37101 Newark Blvd.
- The Newark Unified School Board of Education will welcome its newest member on Tuesday when incoming school board member Gary Stadler is sworn in. The swearing in ceremony will be held at the board’s 7 p.m. meeting at district office, 5715 Musick Ave.
- Looking for a new book to read? Consider checking out the Newark Library Book Sale. The book sale will be held Friday from noon to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Proceeds go toward the Newark Library League.
- Local bicycle group Kruz3r Mob will be taking a holiday ride with Santa from Love @ First Slice through Newark on Saturday evening. The event, known as the Kristmas Krawl, is part of the group’s effort to collect toys for its annual Toys for Tots Drive. Families are invited to join the group as they bicycle through the area.
- Firefighters will also be joining in the effort to collect toys for the less fortunate this holiday season. Local firefighters will be collecting toys in front of Red Robin on Sunday as part of the Viola Blythe Toy Drive. Toys collected for the Viola Blythe Toy Drive go toward the organization’s annual Children’s Christmas Party, which is held for more than 400 children.