Thanksgiving is next week and many are already dreading that Holiday weight gain. Don’t fear – I’m here with some fun ways to keep you on track!
Here are some post-Thanksgiving physical activities you can do:
- When: Sunday, November 27 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Where: Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge, 9500 Thornton Ave., Newark. There is a short hike from the Visitor Center to the site.
- Venue Phone: 510-792-0222, extension 363
- Venue Website: Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge website
- Info: The Refuge spans 30,000 acres of open bay, salt pond, salt marsh, mudflat, upland and vernal pool habitats. The refuge is headquartered in Fremont with the Environmental Education Center located in Alviso. Bring a yoga mat or beach towel and make sure to wear comfortable clothing.
- When: Saturday, November 26, 2011 8am
- Where: Quarry Lakes Regional Recreational Area, Fremont CA
- Venue Phone: (510) 750-5919
- Info: This event is hosted by Brazen Racing, which is a great organization. I’ve done one of their races and they had great reviews. http://www.brazenracing.com This event is in support of the Holiday Food Drive for Alameda County Community Food Bank. There is also a Little Turkeys Race(about 100 yards) which is free to all children of race participants. All finishers receive custom medals and cotton or tech shirts.
- REGISTER HERE
- When: Thursday, Nov 24, 2011 6:30am
- Where: HP Pavilion, San Jose
- Info: This thanksgiving day event is the Applied Materials "Silicon Valley Turkey Trot", produced by the Silicon Valley Leadership Group. Currently at 16,358 and open to 21,000 participants with the first 17,500 getting a 2011 branded recycled polyester long-sleeved shirts! (Race shirts are now available in women’s cut too!!). Registration is at 6:30am(if spots are still available) with a costume contest at 7 a.m. There is a Turkey Trok 5K Run/Walk, 10k Run, 10k Wheelchair, Elite Mens’ and Women’s PA/USATF and Kid’s Fun Run. There is something for everyone in the family with an awards ceremony at 11:30am. This event benefits Second Harvest Food Bank, the Housing Trust of Santa Clara County and Santa Clara County Children’s Health Initiative.
- Info: If you can’t make one of the Turkey Trot races there is a Virtual Turkey Trot. You can pick your favorite run in the Milpitas area and donate food or money to a local organization or family to register for World Run Day and be awarded an event shirt. You get a World Run Day – 2011 event t-shirt, Bib Number (Downloaded), your name, city and state listed on the event site, link to the online Running Expo and Instructions for posting pictures and results. For more info, go to www.runday.com