Don’t forget about the little stores.
As holiday shopping goes into full swing with Black Friday, shoppers should remember that there are other ways to shop – local. And what better way to do it than to celebrate Small Business Saturday.
In the Tri-Cities there are a number of shops, specializing in different goods. From books to sneakers, check out these five small specialty shops to shop at:
- 3902 Smith St., Union City; 510-952-9681
- Have a friend or family member who’s into comics? This new small business offers thousands of comic books and figures. You can also buy, sell or trade in new and rare comics and collectibles.
- 37300 Cedar Blvd., Newark; 510-792-8585
- If you’re looking for a new project, come into this shop. Low Price Hobbies offers a wide array of products from radio-controlled toys to models you can build, whether you want to build a plane, boat or car.
- 5857 Jarvis Ave., Newark; 510-792-4487
- Feeling artsy? Want to make a sentimental gift this year? Test your scrapbooking stores and get your supplies at this scrapbook supply store. If you need help, inquire about the crafting classes that the shop also offers for children and adults.
- 5678 Thornton Ave., Newark; 510-797-4100
- Borders and Barnes and Nobles are gone but don’t fear. The Book End has been around for decades and they offer new and used books in every genre, including mystery, romance, science fiction and westerns.
- 32160 Dyer St., Union City; 510-471-7387
- Don’t forget the furry friends. This pet supply store carries toys, food, treats, leashes, beds and more for cats and dogs.