Heads up! Here are five things going on this week that you should know about:
- Show your appreciation for the arts by visiting Joann Reed’s art exhibit at the NewPark Mall Cultural Corner. It’s the last week of Reed’s exhibit, which showcases her work that features nature-inspired oil paintings. Reed, a San Jose resident, is known for her pencil drawings and oil pantings which have been shown in galleries throughout the state, including San Francisco’s DeYoung Museum. The exhibit is open 12:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the cultural corner, which is located on the lower level of NewPark Mall. For more information, click here.
- Pets who want to visit Santa Claus may not have to travel far. The first Pet Photo Night of the holiday season will be held Monday from 4 p.m. to close at the Santa Set near JC Penney at NewPark Mall. All dogs and cats are invited and photo packages will be available for purchase. People looking to adopt a cat may also want to drop by. Purrfect Cat Rescue will be on hand helping customers interested in adopting a feline for their homes. Click here for more details.
- Interested in buying or selling a house but need more information about the real estate market? Join Project 51’s Home Buying/Selling Q&A Seminar. The event will be held Thursday from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. and a panel full of local experts will be available to talk about the issues of homeowners and homebuyers. Registration is required, and the event is free. To register, contact Barbara Telford-Ishida at 510-795-2627 extension 20 or email email@example.com.
- Does your child love to read? Children between the ages of 9 and 13 years old are invited to the Fiction Addiction Reading Club meeting on Friday afternoon. This month, the club’s members will discuss Hurt Go Happy by Ginny Rorby. The club meets at 3:30 p.m. every Friday of the last month. There will be no meeting in December, but in January, Treasures by Michelle Harrison
will be the book of the month.
- Don’t be a Scrooge. Celebrate the holiday season by learning more about Scrooge and his story by heading out to the first showing of Stage 1 Theatre’s rendition of A Christmas Carol: A Play with Carols on Friday. The show begins at 8 p.m. and tickets cost between $10 and $22. Directed by Newark Memorial High School Alumnus Brian Allan Hobbs, the show is a classic one that is appropriate for the entire family. Click here for more showtimes and information.
Find more events on our calendar. Are we missing an event? Add it here.